Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Everyone Has One

 I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.  Edward Gibbon

Asshole

It is sometimes depressing what people seem to think they are owed today. Some people believe they are owed an income forcibly taken from others, just because they exist. Others seem to think they are owed a political office because they have "paid their dues".  But the most depressing development of the modern world of the internet, online blogs and social media is that now people seem to think I need to respect their opinion.

Don't get me wrong, in a society as rich as ours, no one should go hungry or homeless; God has given us plenty to share and he commands us to do so. Also, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even when it is misinformed, illogical, self-centered, uneducated, formed by sloppy thinking or prejudiced. However, don't expect me support you in your sinful behavior or to respect your opinion when it is based upon one of the above.

When you trash my religion, disrespect my deeply held beliefs, insult my entire way of living my life because of the latest social trend or passing social cause, don't expect me to respect you as a serious person. When you try to force me to put my eternal soul in jeopardy because of your misplaced sense of "social justice" don't expect me to not fight back.

No comments:

Post a Comment